Thursday, May 15, 2014

Last note on assessment situation


From John Norris:
We have two choices.
  1. Do nothing and accept the tax increase. Pay the higher tax and complain.
  2. File a formal protest. The easiest way is to use the online protest on the Hidalgo Tax Appraisal District Web site. Next complete the form 50-132 which was included in you Tax Appraisal increase letter. Same form as the online form.
Jerry McAninch sent me the following email:
Thanks for all your work John, wanted to let you know I filed a protest on my own and got it reduced  almost $ 4,000. Several phone calls later we finally agreed on the lower amount.
Carol and Jerry  #233      You may share this if you think it would help someone.

While I do not agree with the increased value assigned by the tax district, the data I put together on the 18 sales or offers for sale in my last message indicates the values are up 20 to 25% from the 2013 appraised value. Based on this data I have filed a protest and agreed to a increase of about 20%. I did this via the online protest. I have not had a acceptance or counter offer at this time. I just filed yesterday.

The online reply has assigned a date and time for my protest. I will not be going down however if we do not agree on a new value informally I will send in a affidavit of the fact I used in my protest. The data published by the state of Texas on protesting tax appraisals say you can appear in person, by affidavit, or by agent.
An affidavit (/ˌæfɨˈdvɨt/ A-fə-DAY-vət) is a written sworn statement of fact voluntarily made by an affidavit or deponent under an oath or affirmation administered by a person authorized to do so by law. Such statement is witnessed as to the authenticity of the affiant's signature by a taker of oaths, such as a notary public or commissioner of oaths.

Bottom line. Accept the increase and do nothing. Come to a percentage increase you can live with and file a protest agreeing to that amount.

If you want to spend another $20 you can get a NADA guild value for your Mobile. This is way below the appraised value but does not value the outside such as carports, awnings and concrete. The site is NADAguides.com go to manufactured homes.

John Norris

from Donna
Hidalgo county needs the tax $...!!!???

No comments: