Saturday, June 14, 2014

Ornamental Pineapple Plants

Jack Havertape was telling me about his ornamental pineapple plants. I took a couple pictures of them. I dont know if they have ever produced a pineapple yet or not. They are easy to start, just chop off the top of a ripe pineapple and take off an inch or so of the lower leaves, most of the juicy part, let the root end dry for  a few days then you can start them in water or plant them directly in a pot. It takes 2 or 3 years to produce a pineapple, they will be smaller than normal. Once they produce a pineapple that's the only one that they produce. After a couple years if a pineapple has not started growing you take a red apple and stick slices down in the center of the plant and let it rot, something in the apple will spur the plant to start growing a pineapple.There's also a dwarf pineapple which you may find in your super market. (Research)
I saw my first one at Herb McClishes, it had a lovely pineapple growing, it was neat, he still has the plant and also something strange I saw by his house was a cotton plant growing...it has an open boll and a flower...

You can grow a cotton plant easily by putting a couple seeds in a pot and when they germinate remove the weaker plant and let it grow. I will have to ask him about his cotton plant when he gets home again.  lol

No comments: